Re: [TenTec] Symptoms of logic board failure

To: <geraldj@weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Symptoms of logic board failure
From: "Don Steele" <dsteele@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:20:40 -0600
Jerry,
    Here is what I have found so far. I opened up the rig, verified I was
getting 13.6 volts to the logic board on connector 2. When I turned the rig
on, the lower section of the display was out, the unit would loose audio,
keypad and encoders locked up, etc. I verifed that when the audio went away,
I could pull off the 2 mini coaxs at 54 and 56, hook them together to bypass
the DSP and audio returned. I decided to look at one thing at a time. I
found that the display output from the logic board was on connector 90. I
preesed on that connector. It was not fully seated, and when it did, the
display lit up, and it appears all funtions were back to normal. I left the
power supply on with the rig off, overnight. Yesterday while doing BARTG
RTTY Sprint, I had the rig on most of the day and it never lost audio,
locked up, all appeares OK. I shut everything down. I came down Sunday after
lunch and turned the rig on. All was OK for a few minutes, then the audio
went away and the keypad and encoders locked up again. I turned off the rig
and decided to leave the power supply on to keep the crystal oven heating
up. I waited about 30 minutes, turned the rig back on, and so far it is
working OK.
     This leads me to believe, as you stated, the time base is where a lot
of the problem lies. I am going to order and replace the TXCO, order the
precision BFO crystals and align those 2 portions of the rig. I have not
went any deeper than that.
     Don
NT0F