Re: [TenTec] Was I bad???

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Was I bad???
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:03:53 +0000 (UTC)

Bob,

By all means grab one of the 715's. I ran 2 OMNI VI+'s barefoot into a 160M
dipole at about 60 ft. Seldom used SSB, but when I did, I got walked over.
TenTec had a reduced price on a demo unit (they often have these, so check) and
it made a difference for me. It's now on my Omni VII and the same antenna.
Worked Japan and South Korea last night through the pack on 40M LSB. Yes, I
know I've got to run the 240 lines as I have a pair of Herc II's waiting, but
I've only been at this QTH a year and those things take time. Same with the
tower. Actually, CW and digital, barefoot and wire antennas are a lot of fun
and I'm working a lot of DX.

When you get the 715, I'd suggest that you follow their setup, then run low
power into a dummy load while monitoring on a second receiver (I used both the
OMNI VI+'s with mic plugged into one and headphones in the other). You'll have
no trouble telling when it's set the way you want it. The darned thing works
well. Of course, neither it, nor more power, nor a big antenna is a substitute
for good operating practices.

Good luck with a new toy

Dave

WA3F