Re: [TenTec] Under the Dirt...a Diamond!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Under the Dirt...a Diamond!
From: "Bill Acito W1PA" <w1pa@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:51:32 -0500
>>So, what makes the HW-9 so popular even today, given that there are newer
>>radios, like the above, with more features?

We should take this off-list, but in short:

- I built it. :-)
- Prior to me selling it, another ham at work (RF engineer) went through it
and swapped parts and modified it to
actually be stable, not smoke finals, and be a decent performer.

The reality is, and as you point out, for the money there are much better
performers. The tuner and wattmeter aren't great either -- the knobs are
thin, undersized, and difficult to adjust. And probably, for what I paid in
1980's dollars for the HW-9, WARC kit, tuner, supply, and watt/swr meter,
you could get a K2 QRP kit now.

...but I built them, and I wanted them back.  :-)   ...and 20 or so years
later, I did build that K2.

Obligatory Ten Tec content:  Planning to drop a N3ZI or N4YG DDS in one of
my Triton, Delta or Omni project radios. Will post results.  Also, looking
for a TX-100 if anyone has one.

Bill W1PA