[TenTec] Omni C Questions ( Maybe OT )

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni C Questions ( Maybe OT )
From: "Curt" <rhulett1@consolidated.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:16:03 -0600
Having bought an Omni C from a ham in NY who claimed it had no operating
issues, found my trust in fellow hams is sometimes misplaced.

I have a few questions about the issues identified (so far):

Power switch won't stay "on". My Omni D/B is push for "on", which matches
the manual's description for this Omni C, this one is pull for "on", but
will drop to "off" unless something isn't wedged between the switch knob and
panel. Did Ten Tec change the sense of the power switch with the Omni C?

Only one of the 10M positions ( 28.5) has a crystal. None of the WARC
positions has a crystal. My Omni D/B has all 10M positions filled, and 30M
functions on receive. More troublesome is that the band switch seems "flaky",
with the display changing to 1.0000, requiring rocking the switch to restore
normal frequency. Is this a known issue with these rigs?

Most troublesome, on SB-N, keying the microphone causes the indicated
current on the TT-255 to run up to about 12 amps constant, even though the
ALC isn't lit and regardless of ALC or drive setting. Talking will cause the
ALC to blink on voice peaks but the current rises until the TT-255 trips.
( The SWR is 1:1 ) Would this indicate that the carrier isn't being
suppressed, problem with the SSB Generator board? Anyone else had similar
experiences they successfully solved?

I bought this rig because wanted 30M capability and spare potential. Maybe
the rig has too many issues to meet those goals.

73, Curt KB5JO