[TenTec] ORION II 566 FIRMWARE (WATERFALL)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION II 566 FIRMWARE (WATERFALL)
From: "Harry van Enckevort" <Harry.van.Enckevort@tiscali.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:17:27 +0100
Hello,

The Orions are GREAT radios in particular also fer contesting (POD !!)
Have had (contest) experience wid 2 Orion's II fer 5 yrs (b4 that 3 yrs
565)
es have stuck wid both radio's on firmware 2041 XL (since released)
which I think is vy gud ES HAS THE WATERFALL.

A couple of months ago I switched on mi DX radio to 2044A though.

Yes:
 - The NR is "better" but fer contesting wid 2041 XL (CW/RTTY) I only
use position 1.
When U tune to position 9 both 2044A es 2041 XL are "noiseless" wid
narrow DSP filters...between in:  gud fer ragchewing in CW/SSB plus ???
I know that the S meter discrepancies were fixed in 2044A (psed) but fer
contesting it is not relevant.....U work what U hear.

- fer whatever reason I cannot load a profile where the AM bandwith can
be set > 6000 . I save 9000 but recalling the profile brings 6000 back.
(not a showstopper) . I notice some other odd "Audio behaviour" (eg Main
Aud in headphone saved L but comes up R or speaker has Sub aud instead
of Main.
Not always when I recall a profile but it happens then and now.
Have not done a 2nd update to 2044A yet.

- I am a CW operator but also contest RTTY (FSK) wid N1MM/MMTTY. Tune
stns in wid XY scope (so no waterfall on the pc screen) es have
experienced the waterfall is EXCELLENT fer that. Also in a CW contest
just checking whether a sig is there on say 10/15 m is super compared to
the spectrum display.
Es yes : so far this firmware (2041 XL) wid extensive contest
use/waterfall on has been rock stable.
Gud to read that the WATERFALL WILL COME BACK (SOON?).

Hpe we will get a 50Hz tuning step es the remote POD (great contest tool
!!!!!!) Enc options  (other menu) on the POD F buttons ........

Just mi input whatever it is worth
Harry
PA3ARM
PA3ARM@arrl.net