Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT

To: Art Trampler <atrampler@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:17:14 -0500
600 ohm ladder line is classic, but in the case where you have a low
impedance load like your short dipole or a 1/2 wave resonant dipole and
a quarter wave of feed line it transforms those low impedance loads to
high impedances that are sometimes out of the range of the simple tuner
on 160 a band where getting the match with the L network of the 238B
requires more inductance than you have available. And subjects the
capacitors and connections to high voltage. A link coupled parallel
tuner like we used to make for ourselves (poorly approximated by the
Johnson Matchboxes) is an appropriate tuner for this 160 meter situation
if the capacitors have enough air gap to handle the voltage.

A 1:4 air core balun would be more appropriate than the current balun
which is 1:1. A ferrite cored 1:4 voltage balun is abused in your
situation and can lead to excess harmonics and core heating from
saturating a core that isn't wound for the high impedance. E.g. one
wound for 200 ohms on the high side won't probably work right with an
18K load. The high voltage will lead to core saturation and wave
distortion along with much core heating. Narrowing the feedline to lower
the characteristic impedance is simpler in my mind than any of the
alternatives.

73, Jerry, K0CQ