Re: [TenTec] High SDR receivers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] High SDR receivers
From: stoskopf@tri.net
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:34:38 -0500 (CDT)
I once suggested to W7ZOI, the ARRL, and Hamvention that it would be fun
to have an 'unlimited' head to head strong signal measurement event for
homebrew receivers the day before Hamvention.  Something like the FDIM
event now is and like the NF sessions before most VHF conferences.

Hamvention said great, we will give YOU time.  That was maybe 25 years ago
and I had neither the time or characterized equipment so the idea was
dropped. I was using individual crystal oscillators, hybrid combiners,
step attenuators from Dayton, etc. for my testing, which worked, but I had
no way to really calibrate.

My thought was that all RX would have attenuation added to bring the NF up
to a standard (useful) NF appropriate to the band being tested and dynamic
range, etc. tested from that.

Rx at the time for 160 was a MCL RAY-3 mixer through a diplexer to a VMP-4
FET to a KVG crystal filter and Plessey stuff after that.  VFO used a
BC-221 frequency meter capacitor/box and a 6AG7 oscillator running a watt
of so with a pad to get the power down to the RAY level.  Pretty bullet
proof.

I also had a RX with a beam deflection mixer which worked well.

Of course, direct sampling and the Flex front ends brought in new schemes.

I still think it would be fun to see what architecture would show up to
such an event, even after Chadwick pointed out that most rigs are better
than we need.  Again,,,,,NOT ME!

N0UU