Re: [TenTec] What Radio?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Radio?
From: "Frank Kirschner" <KF6E@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:45:53 -0400
I agree, in general. 100 watts to an antenna with 8dB gain is the equivalent of
630 watts, plus QRM nulling and gain on receive.

 However, at my last QTH, the HOA prevented me from having a decent antenna.
All I could do was a dipole in the attic, and occasionally a screwdriver
antenna I'd sneak out to the back yard after dark. With 100 watts (and probably
10 dB loss due to the metal in the attic), I didn't have a very good success
ratio. With 300 to 400 watts, it was better, but receive was still tough.

 If you're not restricted by rules, my guess would be about half the budget for
the rig, half for the antenna, plus or minus, depending on the used market.

 73, Frank
 KF6E