Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI/OMNI VII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI/OMNI VII
From: "Mike Barrell - WB9DLC" <wb9dlc@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:06:57 -0400
First : great reply from Richards.

Second : I replaced my Omni VI+ with an Omni VII due to a fatal lightning strike

I loved the VI-plus and I missed her for a while - but I have learned to like
the VII more and more (over a year, now).

Some (but not all) things to think about:

- The new VII cost about 3 times as much as a good, used VI-plus.  My insurance
covered the difference.  But if I bought a VII expecting a huge difference in
performance and features, I might be disappointed.  Not because the VII is
lacking, but because the VI is so good.

- I miss my analog meter - I don't care much for the bar-graph meter on the VII.

- I liked the single button selection of the filters on the VI vs. spinning the
knob for the bandwidth selection on the VII.

- I almost forget that the VII has a sweep function - the real-time sweep will
be nice if TT ever delivers and it doesn't cost too much.

- The VI had a 'MUTE' connection that allowed me to use a foot switch when
operating CW (most of the time) and QRM/QRN got annoying running QSK.  On the
VII I have to jump into the menu and set the QSK delay up.

- I find the DSP on the VII to work very well - once you learn to use the RF
Gain properly.

- The VI seemed to be mechanically a better built rig.

- The display/menu system on the VII is awesome - especially compared to the VI
and many other rigs.  Very simple to navigate and adjust.

- The VII is internet ready - if you are so inclined.

- Quad bandstacking on the VII is nice

- The VII is General Coverage RX - If you can find something to listen to.

73
Mike - WB9DLC
Visit my web page at http://wb9dlc.com