Re: [TenTec] Adding headset boom mic to headphones?

To: ronc@sonic.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Adding headset boom mic to headphones?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:12:28 -0400
I have a couple of ideas....

1)   Use a replacement boom/mic element from Shure - Model WH -20 -
great little dynamic mic element, they use it in their Model 512, SM-2,
SM-10, and WH-20 goose neck boom elements.   Use a small screw-bolt and
nut to secure it to the headset body.  This will entail drilling a very
small hole in the side of the earphone receiver cup.    I did this with
a WH -20 mic I purchased at Dayton for $20, and then drilled a hole in
the cup of a Sennheiser HRD-130 wireless headphone cup.   Works swell.
Can be removed and serviced - which is why I did not epoxy it like the
other guy did.

2)   OR... Try the stainless steel boom from he Model Shure SM-2,
SM-10,  and Model 512.   This is the same mic capsule mentioned above -
sounds really good with radio transceivers) - I can provide a photo of
what I am talking about if you like.

3)   Various computer microphones headsets send themselves to attaching
a boom mic to a headset ... they can be cannibalized and then
re-purposed for the ham radio task.   I can show you photos of this
being done if you like.

4)  HEIL had a little boom microphone accessory they tried selling with
their "Quiet Phone" headset.   Possibly discontinued, Heil might have a
couple on hand they did not yet sell off.   This could be mounted to a
headset easily.

5)   Remember the KOSS PRO 4/AA headset weighs a ton (like 22 oz) but
has fabulous audio and ALSO HAS A KNURLED KNOB ON THE LEFT EARPHONE
RECEIVER CUP TO HOLD A BOOM MIC for studio applications.   Easy as pie
to mount the above-mentioned Shure mic booms to it.

6)   Various other head-worn microphones can be retro-fitted to a
typical headset....   if you are curious, post me and I can go into more
ideas...

7)  One way to avoid messing with your usual headphones is to get a
lightweight computer type microphone and WEAR IT AROUND YOUR NECK WITH
THE MIC ELEMENT POINTED UP TOWARD YOU MOUTH, and that is all you need to
do.   This is a great solution for short sessions where you don't mind a
second, very lightweight headset sitting on your shoulders.  Not
necessarily a permanent solution for long contest or rag chew sessions,
but a quick solution if you are on for a short time.

8)  HEIL makes (or used to make)  a product called the BM-10 with the
SAME STAINLESS MIC BOOM ARM that Shure uses in the above-mentioned
headsets.   It used to sell the mic element and stainless steel boom arm
as a replacement part - or you could cannibalize one of the sets for the
parts, and attach it to the ear cup of your favorite headphones.  I can
provide photos of this, also...

        Note - See the Shure Model 512  headset - employing
        this same stainless steel mic boom arm here:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/other/512-headset-microphone

NOTE !!!

        As you can see ... there is a little plastic holder
        piece that can be sued to mount it to a headset
        with a small screw and maybe a washer.   It can be
        quite nicely done, and still be removable.

See the Heil Quiet Phone with boom mic accessory here:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/mics/5263boom.html

NOTE !!!
        SAME CONSIDERATIONS apply here ... it CAN be mounted in a
        way that does not require epoxy and can be removed for
        repairs, retrofitting, modifications, etc.  Don't
        just super-glue it (ham radio's substitute for duct
        tape fix-all)  without working with me first !!!

See the Heil BM-10 microphone boom arm in place in ONE WAY but probably
not the best way,...    we can do better than this...I can suggest a much
easier way to do this, but here is ONE EXAMPLE:

         http://www.freewebs.com/k1dg/boseheadphonemod.htm

See the HEIL BM-10 here -- it may be discontinued, but I bet parts can
be found, and if not, the SAME MIC BOOM is used on the current Shure
models mentioned above.

         http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/4325.html

Another idea here:

        http://www.freewebs.com/k1dg/K1EPBoseMod.pdf

THE CLIP IS AVAILABLE AS A REPLACEMENT PART... See it here.

        http://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1999

This is a way better way to hook on a boom mic arm than super-glue !

The stainless steel arm is way cool and does NOT get bent or pushed out
of place easily - it MIGHT swivel on its axis (around the pivot screw
holding it tot he earphone cup) but not often if you use a rubber gasket
or washer in the mix.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THESE IDEAS... CONTACT ME AND MAYBE WE
CAN WORK TOGETHER AS I AM PLANNING JUST SUCH A MODIFICATION OF THE KOSS
PRO 4/AA HEADSET SOON.  I will likely use the little clip used on these
headsets with a simple nut and bolt arrangement.   It will be very clean
and tidy.  And great fun.   I love headset projects !

I can sen you photos of some of my similar projects if you like.

THESE ARE THE TIP OF A LARGER IDEA ICEBERG...   I AM A TOTAL HEADSET
JUNKIE and used to do product testing and write product user reviews on
headsets for a related, but different purpose, speech recognition.  No
headset project is too odd to interest me, so post back if you like.

Happy trails.