Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>

Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 22:51:19 -0800
On 12/8/2011 12:48 PM, John wrote:
> I have been considering the Yamaha Headset.  Any experience with  the
> Jupiter?  My thinking is that a headset and a foot switch (already
> working) would be more convenient than dragging around the desk mike
> as I do now?

Sorry, I sold my last Ten Tec transceiver several years ago (but still
use Titans and a Herc II). Ten Tec's audio inputs have always been
pretty good -- remember that Al Kahn, the engineer who founded the
company did so with his returns from the sale of Electro-Voice, one of
the finest pro microphone and loudspeaker companies on the planet at the
time. In general, just about any decent mic will work just fine with any
Ten Tec rig I've seen with the exception of a BALANCED professional
electret mic, which can't easily be made to work with ANY unbalanced
inputs.

So I'd say, by all means go ahead, following the guidelines in my Ham
Interfacing Power Point slides.  And while there has been discussion of
using a pad (resistive attenuator), I'd be very surprised if it is
needed.  It was NOT needed with an FT1000MP, which has a very sensitive
mic input, and had be turned very close to zero with a CM500. But when I
did that for testing with a very good engineer and serious contester
listening only three miles away, he gave me a clean bill of health.

One other VERY important point. With any mic like this, it's good to
keep it away from your mouth to avoid breath pops and bass boost. That
spacing will also reduce the need for a pad. I wear mine with the mic
about 2 inches above and 2 inches to the side of my mouth. Sound-wise it
would be fine at that spacing below the mouth, but you can't munch or
drink coffee with the mic down there, so I settled on the high and to
the side position. :)

73, Jim K9YC