Re: [TenTec] Best HF Travel Rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Best HF Travel Rig
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:57:15 -0800
On 2/13/2012 12:01 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> If you are a CW operator, I certainly agree with Jim.
> If you work more SSB, one weakness of the Elecraft K2 is that it did not
> have passband tuning. Otherwise it is an outstanding radio.

The K2 is a miserable SSB radio for two other reasons. Most important,
the RX only sounds good when receiving through the TX crystal filter.
When set for narrower SSB bandwidths the crystal filters that are narrow
tuned for CW are stagger tuned, and their response looks like a cross
section of the Rocky Mountains, +/- 6-8 dB peaks, with phase distortion
to go with it.  It's just AWFUL to listen to.  Second, the audio chain
in the K2 lacks gain, so unless you're hitting with a REALLY hot mic it
doesn't hit the compressor hard enough to produce much compression.

By contrast, the K3 is a GREAT rig for ALL modes, with great audio on
both RX and TX.

73, Jim K9YC