Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...
From: "Jerry Haigwood" <jerry@w5jh.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:38:19 -0600
Richards,
    I can remember getting my Extra ticket in about 1988-1989 (I think)?  I
had been on 10 meters with KS4G every night for at least 2-3 months to build
my code speed up to 22-24 WPM.  Jim lived across town from me in Cary NC and
no one else was on the band back then so we would burn up the airwaves every
night.  I took the exam at the Durham NC Hamfest.  The test was administered
by two lovely ladies from the Norfolk VA FCC office in a grade school.  I am
a big guy and I don't fit grade school chairs very well.  I remember
listening to some 22 WPM code groups in my car before going in for the test.
It was a bit uncomfortable for me sitting in the small seats but I was able
to pass both the 20 WPM code and written exam on the first try.  Just like
you, I was elated!  Good luck to you and have fun with the new privileges.
Jerry W5JH