Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes
From: kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:16:00 -0500 (EST)
Dave,
How much are we talking??
73,
Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Edwards <kd2e@comcast.net>
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Cc: tentec <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Sat, Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Having worked for HP/Agilent, you'd think I'd be pushing one of
them...or a Tek
version. If you can find a nice one...great!  But I gotta tell
'ya....the cheap
Chinese ones are now lookin pretty darn good. LCD displays, and ability
to save
an image as a .jpg on a thumb drive!   If I was suddenly scope- less,
(and every
ham needs a scope)....I'd be looking at one!
...Dave

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 18, 2012, at 2:14 PM, "Hulett, Russell"
<rhulett1@consolidated.net>
wrote:

> I've avoided owning a scope, but the recent discussion about
troubleshooting
low power from an Omni D has me rethinking.  Most of the gear I own now
old,
have managed to diagnose problems without owning a scope.  In one case,
the
problem with an old hollow-state receiver was found by poking around
with a
wooden dowel to expose a poor solder joint.  My main concern is
spending more
money on a scope than my shack is worth, or alternately spending more
time
fixing a used scope than is warranted.

> Would be curious about thoghts from others who repair their own gear
about
what minimum-required scope would be.