[TenTec] Testing Argosy final amp current

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Testing Argosy final amp current
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:02:52 -0500
After considering  several different approaches, I concluded that
cutting the red lead at about the center of the run was both the easiest
to access and easiest to repair.  The deed is done.

With a dummy load on the Argosy ( nothing said to put a load on the
output but it seemed logical at the time) I measured the current with
the output set to high and drive set to 1.  At 1 and below, the current
is about 60-80 ma.  The manual says the quiescent current should be 125
ma with the gain set all the way clockwise. I see 150 ma with the gain
set about at 2. With the gain at about 8 the current rose to close to
800 ma.  The measurement is taken after putting the mode control at
LOCK. Am I doing something incorrectly?  Does anybody have any thoughts
or corrections to my measurement process?.  Given the difficult
replacement of the finals, I am reluctant to just play.

John / WA1JG

--
John / WA1JG