Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amplifier history

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amplifier history
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:42:26 -0500
Doug,
        I owned a Centurion (422) for several years. I bought it new, and
had an early-life failure of the bias transistor which I replaced with the
help of TT techs.  It worked flawlessly for me, including a bit of RTTY
contesting.  It was very smooth, and I loved the instant-on 3-500ZG's (RF
Parts) that came installed in it.  One of the finals failed with the "usual"
grid short to the cathode, and a new pair of 3-500ZG's from RF Parts cost me
over $400 at the time.  I later sold it and bought an Alpha 99 (pair of
GU-74B / 4CX800 tubes).  I miss the "instant on" feature of the 3-500's.  By
the way, the Alpha also arrived with a single early-life failure - the
vacuum relay, which I replaced with Alpha's assist.  Bottom line - the
Centurion performed very, very well, but the 3-500ZG tube life disappointed
me a little.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas