Re: [TenTec] Omni-D Frequency Display Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni-D Frequency Display Problem
From: Stephen Roberts <steverob@shoreham.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 10:11:57 -0400
Thanks Dave,

This is my first HF rig. Just hung a new LNR 40m dipole and I can't believe
what I'm hearing. Even picking up portable ops in England. Crazy. I got the rig
for CW and very rarely do any voice, but I'll get around to it some day in the
near future.

Right now, I'm tapping on the radio to get the meter to work. I'll let you know
if I'm successful getting it to work well. I wrote to Ten Tec and they said
that they had a replacement meter. See below:

Dear Steve:

Sometimes a sticking meter can be cause by a bent needle, or the clear front
half of the meter pushed into the needle. Most sticking problems are mechanical.

 We no longer have meters in stock. If you are experienced in working with the
mechanical part of a meter I do have a meter that is the same size and movement
but with a battery charge scale. It is possible to carefully take an exacto
knife and gently slip it behind the face plate and pop it loose then glue the
face plate from the original meter onto the new meter. This replacement meter
is $5.00 plus $3.00 shipping and handling. You may place a credit card order by
calling 865-428-0364.

Steve
KB1WUD

On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:02 AM, davkozy@comcast.net wrote:

> Just an FYI....  I had the same problem a few years ago. I brought it Ten-Tec
> on a trip to their hamfest and again a month later when it did the same thing
> after the first repair.
>

>        I still intermittently have the same problem. However, I've found that
> if I leave the radio on for 20 - 30 minutes, the display goes back to normal.
> I've been living with this problem for quite a while. If you do find a
> permanent fix,  please let me know. I really love this radio as it was my
> first HF radio. I liked Ten-Tec so much, I also own a Pegasus, Cosair II,
> Omni 7 and a bunch of other accesories.
>
> Dave,  KB9EPL

Stephen Roberts
Marketing Manager