Re: [TenTec] Top receivers

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Top receivers
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 07:22:17 -0500
I'd read the article published by ARRL and the article that John provided
with his post.  Both are very good and very informative and are suggested
reading.  I've followed the work of Rob Sherwood, his test results and his
presentations.  Again, I find this to be a source of excellent information.

Two areas or descriptive words I've yet to find a true definitive answer is
"best" and "top performance".  As Rick wrote, there is a much broader scope
to receiver performance than a single specification.  And I find that what
one ham says about the product they own is based largely on their operating
methods and skill, their QTH, their antennas and their local environment,
just to name a few.  The published documents found in ARRL Product Reviews,
RSGB Product Reviews, test data from Sherwood Engineering along with the
"published specs" from each manufacturer will go a long way to aid one in
making a decision.  Yet none of these can provide or convey "real time"
actual performance as found on your operating desk.

There is a broad spectrum of product on the market today.  Most all of them
can generally be described as "good" and that is better defined "as in the
eyes of the beholder".  To wit, I've an acquaintance that recently purchased
a new radio after using what I'll describe as a 10 year old model for some
years.  Simply stated, he has been amazed at the excellent performance and
features found on the new radio.  He's stated on the air more than once, he
had no idea receivers today were so good.  An in this case he purchased a
mid range priced product, not one of the high end products.

Perhaps it is time to move away from the 10 year old product on your desk,
take the plunge, and move into one of the new DSP based transceivers on the
market today.  Just remember, none of them are perfect and there is not and
one that can be declared as "best".

73
Bob, K4TAX