Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: Pa1ap <pa1ap@nextchallenge.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 07:58:29 +0200
I really like the document as shared and reading through it. Would appreciate
your advice on the following rfi experience:

recently I build an artificial ground to ensure rfi gets directed somewhere
else. I wasn't sure it would fix the rfi issue but figured it was fun to build
and never harms... after connecting the artificial ground to the rig there was
little rf going through the artificial ground which suprised me a bit. I also
noticed touching the chassis of rig, balanced tuner, power supply and other
components changed the current. Then I decided to decouple all wires connecting
to the rig using ferriet cores. Suddenly the rf current through artificial
ground went up and touching chassis of previous mentioned devices had little to
none influence on the current through artificial ground.

Now the orion seems very isolated from eveything except the artificial ground
tuner. Rf through tuner is stable and when I am working on 20m and up there is
no issue anymore with rfi into the house nor my computer speakers.  It was fun
to learn something so fundamental and to realize I forgot more than I realized
;-)  yes I have a compromised shack as it resides at second floor of the house
and I am almost touching the apex of my dipole.

The question I have: could I have done this easier through applying other
techniques like described in the document? am I just fixing a sympthom instead
of the root cause? I had two rfi issues; potential rfi into the mic and rfi
into the audio equipment within the house. I am new in this area.

Thanks and best regards, onno