Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:12:52 -0400

On 5/17/2012 11:31 AM, John wrote:

> I thought I had read that radial spacing may be more important than length
> and that radials may not have much effect past the 1/4 wave point.

        I am a vertical antenna maven...
        My studies tend to confirm what you have read.
        As a general rule, it is better to have many, shorter,
        radials... than a few longer radials... for the same
        total length of wire.  The ground will de-tune any
        radial system, so tuning for a particular band is more
        trial and error than a matter of        measurement, although
        elevated radials can more       easily, and actually should be,
        cut to frequency.

        But, yes, more closely short radials is preferred over
        fewer, longer yet wider spaced radials.

Although the thought of establishing  (consuming the back yard) as a RF
base for a vertical antenna is
> certainly interesting.

        That is not as silly as you might think...

        Our friend and mentor, Rob Sherwood, wrote a
        magazine article about using lawn fabric or the like to
        make a ground screen for his vertical antenna - and after
        talking with him a couple of years ago - I seriously contemplated
        laying a huge grid of galvanized lawn fabric (the kind where
        the cross members are welded and not just woven together.)
        My bride was not particularly exuberant over the prospect of
        laying so much metal over an existing lawn, so we laid 65
        wire radials, instead.  (Yes... she helped... the photo of her
        digging part of the trench to bury to coax feed line is one of
        my most prized ham possessions!)

        Parenthetically, I have truly appreciated the detailed
        correspondence I had with several learned hams, including
        Rob Sherwood,  Phil Salas, AD5X, who has written loads of
        articles for QST,  and Rudy Severns, N6LF, who has conducted
        extensive field testing and written several articles on the nature
        and number of ground radials for vertical antennas, and even
        Rick DJ0IP of our group.        Giants of the hobby who gave me
        some individual attention.

        Similarly, I also appreciate the huge help Bob, K4TAX, and
        Jim Brown  K9YC,   Jeff, N8CC,  and many others from this
        group too numerous to mention, have given me along the way.

  That is Just My Take...