Re: [TenTec] Radial Research

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radial Research
From: "Kris Merschrod" <Kris@merschrod.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 07:08:41 -0400
Rick's message on practicality is sound.

My 80 meter vertical started out as a "Marconi" That is ground rod in the
ground directly under the 7/8"  X 63' Cable TV feeder line found in a
recycling yard about 1983 that I dagged up a spruce tree for support (I tied
it to the branches) and used a sheetmetal screw to attach the hot wire to
the shield.  It was an immediate improvement for DX over the 80 meter dipole
at 35'  (See the 1st Antenna Anthology "Wiring up the Old Spruce.")  Since
then I added a few (6) radials on the ground and have always fed it directly
with RG8.  Band width - pretty close to all of 75 and 80 meters.

For sure (Well theoretically) if I added more radials the efficiency would
improve, but in the last 25 years that has not been high on the antenna
farming list of chores!

Keep it simple!

Kris KM2KM