Re: [TenTec] Radial Research

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radial Research
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:36:05 -0400
I am a late bloomer in ham radio.  I was not an engineer in a former
life, and am still grappling with basics.

I still find matters of  IMPEDANCE ...SWR... reactance... radiation
resistance, etc., a puzzlement and a curiosity.    Taking college
physics 35 years ago is not making it for me...

I am still "corn-fused" about the relationships between these concepts.
  For example,  my 43 foot stick had these different results before and
after I converted it to a 33 foot 40 meter ground plane.

SWR  @ 7.150 MHz  @ 43 feet =   6.8 : 1     |Z|= 55 ohms

SWR @ 7.150 MHz  @ 32 feet =   1.40 : 1     |Z|= 38 ohms

So... at 43 feet, I suppose I get a great impedance "match" at 55 ohms,
but at the expense of relatively high SWR...    So I shorten it and get
a great SWR "match"   at 1.40 : 1 SWR, but at the "expense"  of dropping
impedance to 38 ohms  (which is pretty much according to the text book.)

Do you guys know of a chapter in the ARRL Handbook or the ARRL ANTENNA
BOOK, or some other place where I can read up on how all these concepts
relate?   Personally, I find it all very corn-fusing.

I am not complaining ...  no mamby pamby whining going on in my shack...
   ;-)

I am just trying to understand what it all means !     So if you could
point me in the right direction, I will do my homework.