Re: [TenTec] gas on the fire

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] gas on the fire
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 02:50:06 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
John,

The modeling software packages do take into
consideration various ground parameters.

Look carefully and you will see there are
typically several "types" of grounds to
select depending on the software along with
defining ground characteristics.

Also keep in mind that the NEC "engines", as
there are several versions, and the MININEC
"engines" each have their own strengths and
weaknesses for different settings such as
close to ground in terms of wavelength and
radials, tapered elements, and so on.

Software such as EZNEC and 4NEC2 are really
user friendly input/output interfaces to one
of the above "engines".

I tend to use both "engines" to check for any
guidelines that I may have broken in building
the respective models, and compare the results.

Especially if I "discover" a model with results
that are more than what theory says can exist!

QST, the W4RNL site, and others are good places
to learn more and understand what and what NOT
to use models for. Example? Terrain with slopes
is not going to be accurate with most models.

Chrisman is another author who has published
many good articles, especially on verticals based
mainly on models and not real world, so please
keep that in mind when reviewing his data.

Past issues of the NCJ have many of his texts.

The NEC4 "engine" is considered to be the more
accurate than NEC2 as to ground influenced type
of antenna models. Note NEC4, not 4NEC2 as the
latter uses the NEC2 "engine".

NEC4 is also very expensive, though with some
academic settings there can be some savings.

Because we cannot EASILY measure specific ground
data and loss, most models are considered to be
underestimating actual system losses. By how much?
No real agreement, many would suggest 6 - 20 dB!

Anyone looking for your EE PhD dissertation topic?
see the above, start with Brown's work and see if
you can build models that match the real world.

BTW, HFTA, which comes with the ARRL Antenna Book is
good for dipole/yagis once you setup your terrain
files, but of no use for verticals.

So John, you are on the right track here as you are
recognizing that there are MANY variables, so please
stay with this and compare the models and real world.

That's how I built my 1st 80m 4x array as I started
with a 'normal' model which showed me what I could
expect as to pattern/gain/etc. Then I worked with
what I had to do for my backyard's limitations and
after much time, came up with an new idea to build,
then built it and compared the model with real world.

In my case the 4 vertical bases had to be spaced out
much wider than the normal 65' x 65' square. That also
meant the phase lines had to be 3/4w instead of 1/4w
due to the wider square and that the top of the wire
elements could be tilted into toward the tower. The
end result was an "average" spacing of 65' x 65' even
though the base was more like 105' x 105'.

If I had listened to "ham lore" and not learned how a
4x array is supposed to work, then my first attempt
would probably also had been my last attempt as there
is a great deal of unsupported "lore" on arrays today.

CONGRATS on your efforts to LEARN how antennas work!

73 de Billy, AA4NU