Re: [TenTec] Strange FD RFI

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Strange FD RFI
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:53:40 -0500
Also consider that the line impedance from the commercial source is likely
much lower than the generator.  Generators don't like rapid load changes
such as trying to follow the waveform of a SSB signal or CW signal.
Likewise they attempt to correct accordingly.  There was a review of
generators in a QST within the past 3 or 4 months as I recall.  Also many
generators have a rather high level of distortion of the sine wave.  None of
this would be shown on a DVM.

In an effort to minimize weight in the radio and minimize size, the Vc
filters are quite small.  After all they're likely OK for a clean power
source but not so for a nasty one such as might be produced by a generator.
Oh, another though on generators, were you using the inverter type or the
old fashion rotor type?  The inverter types are not known for being clean,
only efficient.

As to the UPS, that's what they do, produce clean stable power.  Therefore,
I don't view that there is any problem or issue with your radio.  Only the
power from which it operates must be clean.

73
Bob, K4TAX