Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:56:43 +0200
Wow James, you hit some hot buttons there!

Your first paragraph was outstanding but then you must have turned down the
wrong road.

I'm sure what you wrote does apply to Michigan, but if you lived in
Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, etc. you would
have a very different opinion about ARES.

I know in OKC, our club managed the emergency sirens which were used for
Tornado Warnings, and other things.
We tested them (I'm sure others do the same) every week at noon on Saturday.
The OMs and YLs were out in their mobiles confirming that they all work.
Then several times per year we were hit be tornados (EVERY year) and ARES
was in full swing.

Daily participation in NTS teaches many the discipline needed for efficient
traffic handling in real emergencies, which happen all the time across the
United States.  The US is one of the few countries which has this type of
training for the real thing.
I guess I should throw in MARS as well here.

Every once in a blue moon, we will get a disaster here in Germany; usually a
major flood.
The hams come out with their little vhf and uhf rigs and lend assistance,
but it is not as well organized as in the states and the people are not
experienced in traffic handling.  They still manage to get the job done. I
believe it is primarily the participation in three field days per year which
prepare us to be able to respond and somehow get the job done.  [separate
field day events for CW, SSB, and VHF].

I think ARES is indeed a major justification for ham radio.
In fact it is THE justification.

The other hot button you hit was freedom of speech, but I will stay out of
that one.
People who don't know me might misinterpret my words.

In conclusion, "sorry mate, I'm siding with Jim on this one."  ;=)

73
Rick, DJ0IP