Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:51:21 -0700
The topic is fine, Rick.  I'm quite liberal with discussion here as long
as it relates to Ten-Tec
and does not refer to auctions or auction sites.

My story:

While I have been licensed since 1965, when I was in high school, there
was a big hiatus
between about 1970 and 1995, with the exception of 1974-75 when I was
somewhat
active as KA2JL from the Tokyo area while in the Air Force.

When I once again became interested the Omni VI Plus was a big deal, and
I bought one
from a ham in Georgia.  It was the perfect station, with all of the
perfect filters for the
CW/SSB operator.  I swore that I'd never get rid of it, but when the
Eagle came along I
was hooked and I traded it in.  As well as being a great piece of
engineering, the Eagle
freed up quite a bit of much-needed desktop space that was occupied by
the Omni VI,
the 962 speaker-p/s and the 238 antenna tuner.

After that came an Argonaut 515.  It developed the need for restringing
of the dial cord,
so I took it to a friend that we were visiting up the coast and he
persuaded me to sell
it to him.

Since  then a Pegasus, which sees little use today, especially since I
bought a Flex-1500
last year, and an Argonaut V joined the herd before the Eagle landed.
Not to beat a dead
horse, but if I had known that the Argonaut VI lacked the same band
coverage as the V,
I would not have traded it in.  That 418 amplifier, however, looks like
it might go well
with my collection of QRP transceivers.

73 de Jim - AD6CW