Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 17:05:24 -0700
Interesting, Rick.

I took the Novice exams back in 1965, when I was in high school.  My
mentor, halfway
down the block (Harry, WA8PVA, SK) administered the exams.

In less than a year I traveled to Detroit to take my General exams in
front of "The Man."
Managed to pass both the General and, a couple of years later, the
Advanced exams
on the first try.

A lot of years passed and life got in the way, but I got back into ham
radio in 1995.
In 1997 I took and passed the Extra exams.  Code at 20 wpm was still
required so I'm
a "coded" Extra, even though it was the VE team and not the FCC examiner.

I thought that the Extra theory test was a joke.  I brought a calculator
and never used
it once.  I know that the head VE, a good friend of mine, probably threw
the hardest
test in the bunch at me.  It was nothing like the General or Advanced
exams that the
FCC administered, where I had to use my slide rule quite a bit
(pre-calculator days).

When I took my General exams, most of the guys in the room were quite a
bit older
and most were excellent with the code.  However, the theory gave many of
them
problems.  We knew only in general what the questions would be like - no
published question pools back then.  Often equations had to be
rearranged and
units converted.  A lot of these guys probably worked in the auto
factories, where
only an 8th-grade education was required, so they had not yet had algebra.

73 de Jim - AD6CW