Re: [TenTec] PK232 and Paragon 585

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PK232 and Paragon 585
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 01:47:22 -0400
Even with my more limited experience, I prefer to run my microphone
through an external pre-amp, to boost it up to line level, and then use
the Line Level Input - even for the microphone - for the reasons you
give for preferring the line level input for other sources.

This parallels and is analogous to how I use microphones on computer
sound cards - the mic inputs have little pre-amps to boost the lower mic
input to line level in the card, and an external preamp is often
quieter, more stable, and less subject to noise and EMI/RFI than the mic
input - for much the same reasons you state for radio input.  Similarly,
it is less prone to over modulation/overloading from too strong input
strength.

The bonus on the OMNI VII is the front panel has fewer connectors and
cables coming to it, as the line in input is on a rear panel connector.

Just MY take.