Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:24:47 -0500 (CDT)
In using the Omni VII and Centurion amp, the easiest and safest way is to
use the two RCA to RCA control cables between the amp and radio.  Operate
the amp in QSK mode and all will be happy.  Set the Amp Control loop in
the Omni VII MENU accordingly.

Now then since I have an Eagle, I use the AMP Control from the AUX
connector on the radio to the PTT connector on the amp.  The delay in the
Eagle is adequate to allow the amp to switch safely at moderate keying
speeds.

To change control of the amp between the two radios only requires
selecting either QSK for the Omni VII or PTT for the Eagle.  This is a
front panel switch on the amp.  No cable swapping no timing issues to be
concerned with.

As to the AMP KEY connector on the Omni VII, I use that for keying the
sequencer for the VHF station.  Here I do lengthen the delay in the MENU
to keep things keyed a bit longer.  There's lots of relays in that
station that are timed in sequence.

This MENU delay does not affect the QSK timing as I recall, but only the
time the AMP KEY line stays low.

73
Bob, K4TAX