Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:51:28 -0500
Clarification needed.  Are you saying that the transmit frequency is not the
same as the receive frequency?  Or are you saying that the displayed
frequency  is not the frequency being transmitted and received?    Do check
to see that RIT and XIT are both off and not displayed as RIT +0000 or XIT
+0000.  If you are finding that the transmit frequency is not the same as
the received frequency, I suggest a Master Reset be initiated.  That may
resolve the issue.  Also what version of firmware is installed?

How does the display compare when tuned to WWV at 10 MHz.?  I suggest for a
WWV check, tune the radio to the WWV signal in LSB mode and then switch to
USB mode while making no other change.  You should be able to find a
frequency by adjusting the VFO tuning in 1 Hz steps such when switching
between USB and LSB there is no apparent sound change in the received WWV
signal.   In checking my Omni VII this morning I find a +6 Hz error on the
5.0 MHz WWV signal.  The error of +12 Hz exists on the 10 MHz WWV signal.
Propagation is not available at present for the 2.5 MHz nor the 15 MHz WWV
signal but I would expect the find the error be mathematically related to
the respective frequency.  I've not checked nor calibrated my radio in some
3 years so some normal crystal aging has taken place as expected.

73
Bob, K4TAX