[TenTec] Omni 6+ Opt 3 problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ Opt 3 problems
From: "N6QW" <n6qw@jessystems.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 07:15:01 -0700
Before I take out the Golden Screwdriver and really mess things up --thought I
would test the list to look for divine guidance.

I have a Omni 6+  Opt 3 that has been inactive for several years. I put it back
on line yesterday and for the most part it works FB.

I noted that the "clock time" was off by about 35 minutes. So in looking in the
manual I see that by holding in the "Lock" button for one second gives access
to the menus and the clock set is in Menu 1. Sure enough I did that and the
panel display  read  "Change". The next step is to hit the "Enter" button to
scroll through the 13 menus. Only in my case it does not go through the menus
but returns to the normal display as before engaging the "Lock' button.

So then I thought perhaps a partial reset would cure the issue --nothing. So
next I tried the "master" rest process -- nothing --same issue. Then I thought
Ahhh -- the lithium coin cell battery needs replacing. I popped in a NIB
battery and still the same issue.

Perhaps related is another issue. Before I did the two resets --the NO relay
contacts on K1 worked so I could turn on a linear amp. That no longer works.
The cable to the amp was tested as was the amp switching and they are good. (
The amp is a SB-200 with the soft key mod so I do not think anything was fed
back into the Omni 6 to kill the keying). The keying relay K1 is triggered by
Q16 (MPS6514) but the driving signal to Q16 comes from the Logic Board via
connector 59. U22, pin 4 sets the driving signal to Q16. When this pin goes
high it keys Q16 which engages K1. So this may be the connection related to the
first problem (after the two resets) as the driving signal comes from the Logic
board and it is the same board which has a problem in not being able to scroll
through the menus.

Any thoughts or inputs are welcome. I would normally call TT but it happened on
Saturday and this is Sunday so I can't do that until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
Pete N6QW