[TenTec] N4LQ's AGC mod isn't working for me.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] N4LQ's AGC mod isn't working for me.
From: Ivin Flint <ivinflint@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
I followed N4LQ's AGC mod of tack soldering a 5.6k ohm resistor across the 100k
resistor in R39 on the IF-AGC board.  I found it's location by it being right
above the IC chip.  The mod seems to make no difference at all for the AGC
pop.  I can't find R39 listed on the schematic.  I see R29.  It appears that is
coming off of IC pin 1.  There is one other 100k resistor on the IF-AGC board
which I think comes off of IC pin 3.  I'm away from home but wanted to get a
head start to the think tank so maybe I can work on this tonight some more.

E-ham reviews of the Omni C state an easy mod corrects a lot of the overload
AGC pop.  Is this the mod or is there something else I can try.  I can desense
the RESONATE control knob and keep the AGC at about 5 which is better, but
isn't really the fix I'm looking for.  I use this radio on CW traffic nets
nightly.  I will have a weak station check in on freq and then a KW strong
station that will just blow my headphones off a second later check in.  Then I
listen to both working on the same freq.  It can really ruin an enjoyable night
on the air for me working on the nets.

I'm looking for confirmation I did the mod correctly and further ideas to
improve the AGC pop.

Thanks as always to the collective help from the group.

Ivin W9ILF