[TenTec] Corsair II PBT Question

To: Ten Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II PBT Question
From: David and Dianne on Comcast <dhhdeh@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:07:56 -0400
Your PBT imbalance problem is likely caused by asymmetrical 2.4 KHz filters in the Corsair II. This is a long known problem with the CSII, Omni V and Omni VI's.

I have had similar experiences with all of the many (!) Corsair II's I have owed over the years along with an Omni V and Omni VI. L/O and IF stage alignments will not improve this problem caused the inconsistent performance and design of the stock TT 2.4 KHz filters.

The remedy is to replace both 2.4 KHz stock filters with INRAD 2.8 KHz filters in the 9 and 6 MHz IF stages and to make sure the the local ocs's are adjusted as`perfectly as possible.

You will be rewarded with far improved SSB audio fidelity and wonderful SSB TX audio.

What you are describing I experienced with all the TT radios of this IF design that I have owned over the years. The 100% fix is this filter swap. Pricey but really worth it. Any easy swap out. You can also install the 2.4 KHz filter board (9 MHz) with sockets to make future filter swapping really easy. I think that Barry N1EU documented that mod. (Check out his really neat CSII wiki site at http://corsair.wikidot.com/corsair-9mhz)

I have a last production run Omni V and last production run CSII that I have switched out these filters and the results are super.

73 de N1LQ-Dave