[TenTec] Trying to save a Paragon, help!

To: Ten Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Trying to save a Paragon, help!
From: Steve Mercure <w5en@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 21:57:07 -0600
A non-ham coworker was recently given some ham gear because he works at a radio
station.  This gear included a Ten Tec Paragon that I am attempting to get
working, with little luck.  I have a couple of questions of the list of things
to try before I recommend that he send it to the factory. When turned on the
radio comes on in different modes on the display and I can not change any of
the modes from the front panel.  The previous owner, now SK was an obvious
smoker.  So far I have tried:
Removing the 3 plug in cards and cleaning their connections to the bus.
I have tried resetting the radio using the red button on the side with no luck.
I currently have the 9v battery removed and will put in a replacement and try
the reset again.
I've heard there is another type of reset that might be worth trying?  Any
ideas along this line would certainly help!  Second question, does this radio
require the 9v battery for the frequency and date/time display work?
If it were mine it would already be boxed up and on its way back to Tennessee.
However, this belongs to another person and I would like to try everything
before I recommend it go out.
Contact me directly if you wish: w5en at hotmail dot com
73 de W5EN Steve