Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:17:39 -0600 (CST)
I view the DSP technology used in the Jupiter is quite different than the
DSP technology used in the currrent Omni VII or the Eagle radios.  Buying
a used Juipter will most likely not be represenative of the DSP
implementation as used today.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> I did consider Ten-Tec 30 day trial offer.
>
> But for me, I am not so sure about DSP based radios. From my limited
> exposure to them I have found the sound to be thin, and digital, with
> grating band noise, and weird artifacts. Almost all of them have
> receiver AGC distortion on very short, strong noise pulses, and ALC
> overshoot issues on transmit.
>
> Now, I haven't heard a Ten-Tec DSP based radio in person, much less used
> one for an extended period of time. I have always had a soft spot for
> Ten-Tec and owned an Argonaut 509 years ago. My memories of that rig are
> great except for the annoying AGC pops. I have always wanted to try
> other Ten-Tec models but have just never done so. So now is the time.
>
> I am not sure that 30 days will be enough for me to fully determine a
> radio's quirks, and all radios have quirks. I also suspect that Ten-Tec
> will be replacing the Omni VII in the not too distant future and
> therefore a used Omni VII would represent better value to me than a new
> one.
>
> I can purchase an older bare bones Jupiter for about a fifth of the
> price of a new Omni VII. If I like the Jupiter, I can buy a used Omni
> VII for about two-thirds of the price of a new one. I will be able to
> resell the Jupiter for close to what I paid for it. So the total loss of
> this venture will not be so bad.
>
> If I buy a new Omni VII from Ten-Tec and don't like it and send it back
> I am out the shipping charges; A bit less than my Jupiter experiment,
> but still not a big difference.  Alternately, if I discover after a few
> months of use that I don't like the new Omni VII, then I will take an
> much bigger loss selling it used.
>
> So for me, an old Jupiter is a low cost way to try out a Ten-Tec DSP
> based radio for a few months or so, and really see what it is like. If I
> like it, then move on to a used Omni VII or used Eagle and follow that
> with a new "Omni VIII" or whatever they name the Omni VII's successor.
>
> 73, Darrell VA7TO
>
> Darrell Bellerive
>
> On 13-01-13 11:04 AM, Richards wrote:
>>

>> On 1/12/2013 1:17 PM, Darrell Bellerive wrote:
>>
>> I just want to try out a Ten-Tec
>>> DSP based rig and an older Jupiter is the most cost effective way to
>>> do
>>> this.   If I like the Jupiter, I will most likely upgrade to an Omni