Re: [TenTec] My Jupiter Experiment

To: TenTec@yahoogroups.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My Jupiter Experiment
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:41:27 -0500 (EST)
I don't know about the Jupiter, but I have an original Orion and I too
about 3 years to finally  learn my best settings. This is above and beyond  all
the set up stuff like mic gain and such.

 I find in a ssb contest I will end up with the band width set at  about
1800 or 1900.  I will have  the pass band tuning at about  + 300 or 400 cycles
so I am actually listening to the voice from  say 400 cycles to 2200 cycles
so I get the best part of the voice and still am  in the part of the voice
that has most of the " hear ability" to it.

 This makes it sound like every body is lined up 2 kc apart all the  way up
the band.  In the cw  portion I usually just run the BW at  about 400
cycles and then narrow it down from there if there is noise from other  cw
signals.

 So play with it and see.  Sometimes that "noise" is actually a  better
receiver hearing more, and not  a radio problem.  remember when  you tried up
the old tube radios, you always tune for maximum hiss in  the audio with the
tune and load  to pre set the radio.  this is  the same thing.

 Good luck and don't be afraid to play with the settings.    tom N6AJR

In a message dated 1/24/2013 7:49:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,