Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 01:29:30 -0500
YES - the author makes a good case for using something tailored to the task. Thinking along the same lines, I recently purchased a B*I*C center channel speaker for my rig.

The article is correct, that a speaker tailored for speech frequencies is a good plan. Many headsets have speakers and microphones with response curves that are tailored to play the human speech frequency spectrum. The Shure 444 and Shure 522 microphones are built with this in mind. My SM-2 headset has speakers with limited frequency range to best accommodate the human voice. They suck playing music - but sound good on the rig.

All that being said, there is still one MOST IMPORTANT VARIABLE in the mix - - namely, each of us has our own peccadilloes, predilections, and penchants for preferring different audio qualities, so no one speaker will please everyone. Even among proponents of center channel speakers, there will be much debate and disagreement about which one is best, or whether some other speaker sounds even better.

For example, YOU MIGHT LOVE my (mint, nearly new hardly used) B*I*C Model DV32CLR center channel speaker... which I would sell to your for a mere $40... plus shipping... which usually sells for much, much more... as I have moved on to trying another speaker in my Lifelong Quest for the Holy Grail of Ham Radios Speakers. ;-)

Nevertheless, the guy makes a good point - get something tailored to the task.