Re: [TenTec] O2 S-meter calibration under ver. 3.033

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 S-meter calibration under ver. 3.033
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:46:08 -0800
Jack:

The AA6E blog was regarding the 'original' Orion which ran on different
firmware.  Although I haven't tested any of the newer versions of the Orion
II firmware, here are the results of tests I ran on v. 2.039d:

http://www.n6ie.com/Orion%20S%20meter%20descrep.htm

Any transceiver can be adjusted via hardware or firmware to get an S-9
reading at 50 uV, but linearity is the big issue.  My tests showed the O II
was 'stingy' below S-9 and way over-generous above.  Either the firmware
should be changed or TT should silk-screen a new meter face (old school
fix!).  It would also be cool if the reading could be programmed to
compensate for the preamp being turned on or attenuators switched in.

Since I now run my Orion II via remote control at a site several miles from
home using N4PY software, the S-Meter issue is no longer relevant, but still
something I hope has been addressed in more recent firmware updates.  It
would be great to have it programable. Carl's control software is
pre-compensated to give accurate readings based on the digital output from
the O II.

It's probably not a 'can of worms' but rather an interesting discussion by
some of us who are purists and strive for accuracy!

          Ron Castro
           N6IE
    www.N6IE.com

Member: