Re: [TenTec] 565 Low level audio on headphones

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 565 Low level audio on headphones
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:20:44 -0700
On 3/19/2013 1:03 PM, Wade Staggs wrote:
Are some of the Heil Headsets and Microphones still using Hot Glue to hold
the Elements in place?

It's been a while (2004) since i took it apart, so I don't recall details, but it was REALLY mickey mouse. :)

As for the Impedance Issue, just from my experience ... Higher
Impedance headsets seem to need more voltage to produce the same amount of
volume. I believe that once again Bob/K4TAX is correct in saying that Lower
Impedance Headphones should have greater sensitivity or louder output.
These are my beliefs. Your mileage may vary.

While this is approximately true, there's quite a bit more to it than that. The difference is EFFICIENCY -- how much POWER is needed for a given loudness. And, in general, the transducer designer must give up some efficiency to get smooth frequency response and lower distortion. In addition, the impedance of ANY magnetic transducer is FAR from being constant with frequency. There are many electromechanical resonances that show up in the equivalent circuit. Headphone and loudspeaker impedances are specified at their minimum value in the audio midrange (think 500 Hz - 4 kHz for headphones).

73, Jim K9YC