Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?
From: Greg S <oldlongbeard@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 06:12:36 -0700 (PDT)

Having just performed surgery on one of the aforementioned "cheapie" PC
headsets, I offer the following from my recent experience.

I would suggest making/buying  the adapter box, and NOT doing what I did, which
was cut off the 1/8" plugs, and solder on a new 1/4" headphone jack, and solder
the wires from the mic directly to an 8 pin mic plug.  The wires inside these
cords are "whimpy" and not insulated from each other by any rubber or plastic
insulation. They are instead, like micro-fine motor winding wires, with a thin,
colored, "varnish" that insulates them from each other. You will need to use
heat and liquid rosin (at least I did) to prepare them to take solder, and then
you must be sure you don't have any of the wrong color in with each other. They
are twisted around each other, too, which helps them be resistant to carrying
RF, but makes this job more difficult. Also learned that even though the 1/8"
PC plug for the microphone has TRS, it only has 2 wires.... I think the T&R are
tied together inside the lug, and the Shield is separate.

 All this being said, it works well.

And, to reiterate, I would make an adapter box to avoid the above, were I to do
it again.

My 2 cents, and maybe worth less.

73-
Greg Schippers, KC8HXO