Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:39:33 -0700
On 3/28/2013 6:12 AM, Greg S wrote:
I would suggest making/buying  the adapter box, and NOT doing what I did, which was cut
off the 1/8" plugs, and solder on a new 1/4" headphone jack,

IMO, the ONLY good methods involve not removing the connectors on the headset/mic, but instead plugging it into a mating 1/8-in jack wired to a cable, putting a suitable connector on the other end of that cable to fit the radio, and adding the bias resistor inside the connector that plugs into the radio. That's what I've done, and it's what K4TAX did. With this sort of arrangement, you can use the headset with any radio (and with your computer) simply by making another such cable with a suitable connector.

Good quality female 1/8-in TRS jacks can be found at Full Compass Systems in Madison, WI. The good mfrs are Switchcraft and Neutrik. They also sell 1/4-in connectors.

See the pdfs on my website about "Ham Interfacing," or the Appendix on Audio for Ham Radio in the RFI tutorial for part numbers.

73, Jim K9YC