Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 02:17:42 -0400
Rick wrote:

It seems you would want to use wire whose insulation will not melt before the saturation temperature of the core.

Well, that's fine, but the core should never be anywhere near its saturation temperature. If it is, you have lots worse problems than the temperature rating of the wire you used.

If I stack several cores together, then I won't have a problem with heating, but that is expensive. It would be a cheaper solution to use less cores and more expensive wire.

But, as Jim and I have been saying, they do not trade off that way. You either have enough core, or you don't. If you don't, it doesn't matter what kind of wire you use, you'll still burn it down. How many times does it take burning down inadequate baluns to make it cheaper to do it right the first time?

I'm sorry, but anyone who won't spend the money necessary to make a proper antenna balun should find a new hobby.

Best regards,

Charles