Re: [TenTec] 9420 PS Problem

To: "Rick W" <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 9420 PS Problem
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 09:47:41 -0500
Interesting about the transformer failure, specially the dual primary condition. I would suspect the failures could be caused by spikes due to either power system switching or surges induced from near-by lightning. Sometimes where a strike take place miles away.

To me this would indicate that one should implement a "whole house" surge protection system. It would never hurt plus it adds protection to everything in the house. These items are available from places like Lowe's or Home Depot in their electrical department. They are often described as "secondary surge suppressor" and are added to the main breaker panel. Cost is around $35 or so.

Although easy to install, if you aren't comfortable working in the panel, then have an electrician install the device.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick W" <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>