Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, indeed: the introduction the PLL lead to wonderful flexibility in
frequency coverage and generation along with mounds of phase noise. The phase
noise has been largely corralled, but not IMD. I wonder: what IMD level is good
enough? Something around -40 dB seems considered insufficient. Would -50 dB do
it? -60 dB? What things affect the linearity and transfer function of a PA? Can
IMD be "designed out" of a PA, or is it fundamentally caused by the transfer
function inherent in the active, amplifying device (transistor or tube) itself?
I honestly don't know.

Oh, and when I heard K0RF's phase noise, I was about 10 mi from him :)

I will take issue with one aspect, though: band pass filters on the output of
a transmitter can most certainly attenuate phase noise, or any other emitted
RF, that falls outside the filter's pass band. Phase noise is Gaussian (white)
in nature and we can turn white noise into anything we want with proper
filtering. There's nothing special about phase noise or nth-order IMD products
in this regard: band pass filters pass only what's in the pass band (the
ultimately tautology!). The pass band may be, say, the entire 20 m band plus a
bit for safety, but a good filter will stop anything outside of the pass band.
So, a transmitter with a good band pass filter on it won;t much affect any
other band but 20 m.

I'll take my '930S out again this year and double check its noise generation as
I know darn good and well that it makes some. I'll even try it on 'phone to see
how much trash it makes because I really don't have any idea right now. No, I
don't don't own the proper equipment, such as a spectrum analyzer, to allow me
to measure it. I suppose that makes me an inadequate ham in some eyes (hangs
head in shame).

Kim N5OP