Re: [TenTec] Orion II Low Output on 12 and 15 m

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Low Output on 12 and 15 m
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:03:48 -0500 (CDT)
Contact Paul at Tentec Service to get the correct TX RF gain alignment
procedure.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> I should have been more explicit at the end of my message: I tried
> adjusting the PWRSET  control  -- R179 on the A5 board -- after cleaning
> exercising all of the connectors in the rig (there are a lot of them!).
> I found that 1) R179 is very sensitive and, 2) it did *not* affect the
> maximum power output on either 15 or 12 m but *did* affect the other
> bands.
>
> I have tried all the various reset options, but these made no difference.
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their O II?
>
> 73,
>
> Kim N5OP
>
> On 6/28/2013 10:16 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
>> I have an Orion II  and have noticed over time that its output on the
>> 15 and 12 m bands is lower than all the other bands on LCW, UCW and
>> FSK. With the PWR set to 100, the 160 through 20 m bands all show
>> about 105 W output using a 13.8 VDC power supply and a known accurate
>> B&W 334A dummy load. This output is stable regardless of whether the
>> internal tuner is used. Output on the 10 m band is 90 W, but on the 15
>> and 12 m bands, output is about 70 W. also, the ALC indicator is NOT
>> lit at the full power output setting on either the 15 or 12 m bands,
>> but IS lit on all other bands. The ALC indicator will light on the 15
>> m band when the PWR setting is adjusted down to 76 or below and when
>> adjusted down to 84 or below on the 12 m band. Any adjustment above
>> this level results in the ALC light being extinguished. On the 12 and
>> 15 m bands any power output is not affected until the PWR setting is
>> at or below these levels. The power indicator meter on the Orion II
>> unit itself indicates about 95 on all bands except 15 and 12 m. On 15
>> m it indicates 82 and on 12 m it indicates about 88.
>>
>> I had mentioned this earlier and had tried adjusting the internal ALC
>> level. This didn't affect the 12 or 15 m bands but did affect the
>> others. I exercised all of the plugs internal to the radio, but it
>> made no difference. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what's
>> the fix?
>>
>> Kim N5OP

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.