Re: [TenTec] Orion 2

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>, "'John Henry'" <jhenry@tentec.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2
From: "Bruce McLaughlin" <bmclaugh@bex.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:25:49 -0400
I own an Orion II among other radios. Of course it is upsetting to learn of
the and the production of that radio. In my case, I am more concerned about
repair ability in the future. But I think it is useful to realize that
situations like this are not unique to amateur radio. I have worked for many
years as a part-time board operator and announcer at the local public radio
station. Several months ago when I came in on a Sunday for my shift, I
discovered that the digital audio board had gone crazy. Lights were flashing
all over the place, there was no audio and it did not respond to any control
inputs. I called the chief engineer whose comment was "it's broke." And it
surely was. Subsequent investigation showed that the EEPROM's had blown.
Although new EEPROM's were available, the manufacturer swore that the coding
had been lost when the company was sold to another firm. Whether that was
true or merely a ploy to force stations to buy new audio boards is, in my
mind, an open question. The board was only 10 years old which is not
terribly old for broadcast equipment. As a result of all of this, the
station had to purchase a new board for $30,000. That never used to happen
in the tube days or the early analog days when the equipment was loaded with
discrete transistors. But the new stuff, which use a lot of proprietary
parts, are both a blessing and a curse. They are a blessing in the sense
that they work very well with less heat and smaller size. They are a curse
when something vital blows and the equipment becomes unrepairable because
the parts are no longer available. I really don't know how long amateur
equipment should be expected to last. I do know that I have a Yaesu FT 1000D
which is working just fine but which I understand is no longer easily
repairable because some of the parts have been discontinued. I also have an
icon 756 Pro which is also working quite well but which I understand cannot
be repaired if it's display screen goes bad because that part is no longer
available. I understand that a company does make a black and white display
which apparently works, but no one is making the color display. So it isn't
just TenTec.

What does upset me is that some companies appear to obsolete equipment for
primarily marketing purposes. I think Flax Radio may have done that. They
have ceased production of the 5000A in favor of the new 6500 - 6700 radios,
which aren't even widely available yet and are somewhat of an unknown
quantity. What is known is that they have substituted a radio which sold for
approximately 2700 to 4000 fully loaded for a new radio in the 4500 - 7000
range. It will be interesting to see how the market responds to that. As of
now, I certainly do not plan to get on that list.

Bruce-W8FU