Re: [TenTec] TT 238C will not tune

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 238C will not tune
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 09:49:31 -0700
On 7/6/2013 1:37 PM, Robert Mcgraw wrote:
For me, the circuit is simple and easy to work on, I'd just find out what
is wrong and fix it, as opposed to the aggravation of packing and
shipping.  If there is a switch with contacts damaged or the contact on
the roller damages then warranty is the choice.

Yes. Some suggestions.

1) Verify the signal path from input to each output with an Ohmeter and the tuner bypassed.

2) Are you using the #4 output for "balanced" line? If so, it needs a jumper. See the manual.

3) Make a careful visual inspection of all of the fixed capacitors. There's one near the back section of the center switch that will often fry at high power with certain loads on certain bands.

4) Make a careful visual inspection of EVERY contact of every switch. I managed to fry a switch contact by switching with high power applied. Brain cramp. :)

5) Carefully inspect the rolling contact on the rotary inductor to make sure that it's properly seated on the inductor. Also inspect the springs at each end. The springs on one of my 229s had been badly overheated before the tuner came to me, so the contact was poor. I ended up replacing the spring.

73, Jim K9YC