Re: [TenTec] Tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 09:41:18 -0700
I posted this yesterday, with a screen grab of the SimSmith model, but the list rejected it. Here it is again, but without the screen grab. You'll have to imagine it. :)

Here's the Power Point for a tutorial I presented to the Pacificon Antenna Forum last fall. It includes a VERY slick way of broadbanding most resonant antennas, especially dipoles. The technique is probably older than most of us, including me -- Prof Dave Leeson, W6NL, who teaches it in his EE courses at Stanford, says he's seen references to it from the '40s.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

Back to the 80M dipole tuned to 3800. Attached is a screen grab from a SimSmith simulation based on an NEC model of an 80M dipole up 30 ft, tuned to about 3590 kHz. The behavior of this antenna at 3900 kHz is roughly comparable to the 3800 kHz antenna at 3500 kHz. The black curve is the SWR at the antenna, the blue curve is the apparent SWR that you would measure at the end of 100 ft of Belden RG8X, and the dashed curve is the loss in dB. Note that for this very low antenna (only 1/8 wavelength) the feedpoint Z at resonance is only about 25 ohms. The feedpoint Z of my very high 80/40 dipoles (about 115 ft) is on the order of 80 ohms, so I feed them with Belden 8213, a low loss RG11.

Note the loss in the RG8X at 3900 kHz is about 3.25 dB. If we replaced the RG8X with Belden 8237, a good RG8, the loss at 3900 kHz would be about 1.8 dB.

And you thought a dipole was simple.

BTW -- Ward Silver, N0AX, has written some good tutorial stuff on Smith Charts. Search the QST archives. I think I have references at the end of my Power Point.

73, Jim K9YC