Re: [TenTec] Opinions

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 06:23:53 -0500
I agree on these points. Just because a product is no longer made doesn't make it any less valuable or any less reliable or any less performance wise a good product. I've just recently sold my 1960 manufactured vintage Collins S Line station for nearly 3 times what it cost new.

I haven't seen the market suddenly flooded with Orion radios, however I suspect the price of a used Orion or Orion II is a bit more today than it was 6 to 9 months ago when one could still purchase a new Orion II. I could see that they might be a bit more in demand and thus the "economic law of supply and demand" likely prevail in terms of price.

Do not fret, there's still 100% support for the Orion II in terms of service and service parts. That's no different than my current production Eagle or Omni VII. Plus, unlike many other companies, there is still firmware support continuing for the Orion II.

It is my general understanding that ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, Elecraft, and FLEX, just to name a few, are no longer providing continued firmware support or enhancements for their products that are no longer in production. On the other hand, information from Tentec Engineering indicates that continued support and enhancements are and will continue for the Orion II.

73
Bob, K4TAX