Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:01:32 +0200
Joel,

I had an experience at Field Day in OKC concerning openwire that completely
surprised me.
I have always run openwire as you say, "in the clear", but at FD something
funny happened which had curious results.

Due to the heat (over 100 deg. F), we set up in an air conditioned volunteer
fire department which had heavy metal doors.
We ran all coax and the openwire from our vertical dipole and our 135 ft.
doublet through the open door, into the shack.

Both openwire fed antennas were pre-tuned before the FD started and charts
were made with matchbox pre-sets.

At night, somebody closed the door as best he could, to keep the bugs out.
The coax's were laying on the ground, stacked vertically on top of each
other and squeezed by the door, but he shoved the openwire up over the metal
door, pushed them towards the side and closed the door on them.

I was running the CW station on the doublet at the time, but did not notice
the door getting closed AND it did not cause any change to the matchbox
settings, nor any apparent loss in ability to work at least one station per
minute.

I would have expected it to basically short the two wires of the Wireman
Window Line, but apparently nothing changed.

I have not made any attempt to repeat that kind of circumstance but it
certainly made me wonder.
In the past 30 years I've built all kinds of contraptions to enable me to
get the openwire in through metal window frames. Maybe I should have just
closed the window on the line and used it!

73
Rick, DJ0IP
P.S.  I think it was one of the boys visiting us from Texas who closed the
door on the window line!